New Model #9924

eSYNiC UV-5R

Added by Knuth K. about 1 month ago. Updated about 1 month ago.

Status:Closed Start date:06/21/2022
Priority:Normal Due date:
Assignee:Jim Unroe % Done:

100%

Category:-
Target version:chirp-daily
Chirp Version:daily Equipment Loan Offered:No

Description

Würde mich freuen, wenn CHIRP das o.g. Gerät unterstützt.

11111.JPG (74.6 kB) Knuth K., 06/24/2022 11:50 am

2222222222222.JPG (53.4 kB) Knuth K., 06/24/2022 11:50 am

Baofeng_UV-5R_20220624.img - img vom eSYNIC UV-5R (6.5 kB) Knuth K., 06/24/2022 12:41 pm

Baofeng_UV-5R_20220624(bad timeout fixed).img (6.5 kB) Jim Unroe, 06/24/2022 03:11 pm

gjfjfgg.JPG - Screenshot (72.3 kB) Knuth K., 06/24/2022 11:19 pm

20220625_012732.jpg (1 MB) Knuth K., 06/24/2022 11:35 pm

uv5r_tot off.py (68 kB) Jim Unroe, 06/25/2022 12:53 am

tot off.JPG (78.7 kB) Knuth K., 06/25/2022 12:05 pm

Associated revisions

Revision 3702:82d34bf63541
Added by Jim Unroe about 1 month ago

[UV-5R] Add support for disabling timeout timer in some variants.

Until recently, the typical TOT (timeout timer) menu of most Baofeng
UV-5R/UV-82 like variants had a valid list of choices that went from
15 to 600 seconds in 15 second steps. The timeout timer could not be
disabled. Some new variants, the eSYNiC UV-5R for example, adds OFF
to this list, and when selected, allows the timeout timer to be
disabled.

This patch adds support for the additional OFF choice.

fixes #9924

History

Updated by Jim Unroe about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from New to Feedback

CHIRP most likely already does. Just choose...

Vendor: Baofeng
Model: UV-5R

Jim KC9HI

Updated by Knuth K. about 1 month ago

Jim Unroe wrote:

CHIRP most likely already does. Just choose...

Vendor: Baofeng
Model: UV-5R

Jim KC9HI

Hello Jim,
first of all thank you very much for your answer.

I also thought that a model from Baofeng or similar might work.
I already tested that.
Unfortunately, after cloning, CHIRP only shows me the memory, i.e. the frequencies programmed in the device.
Unfortunately, the "Settings" column on the left is not visible in CHIRP.

74

Updated by Jim Unroe about 1 month ago

Knuth K. wrote:

Jim Unroe wrote:

CHIRP most likely already does. Just choose...

Vendor: Baofeng
Model: UV-5R

Jim KC9HI

Hello Jim,
first of all thank you very much for your answer.

I also thought that a model from Baofeng or similar might work.
I already tested that.
Unfortunately, after cloning, CHIRP only shows me the memory, i.e. the frequencies programmed in the device.
Unfortunately, the "Settings" column on the left is not visible in CHIRP.

74

This is usually due to one or more settings being out-of-range. Attach your downloaded CHIRP Radio Images (*.img) file so the it can be determined which settings are invalid.

Jim KC9HI

Updated by Knuth K. about 1 month ago

Jim Unroe wrote:

Knuth K. wrote:

Jim Unroe wrote:

CHIRP most likely already does. Just choose...

Vendor: Baofeng
Model: UV-5R

Jim KC9HI

Hello Jim,
first of all thank you very much for your answer.

I also thought that a model from Baofeng or similar might work.
I already tested that.
Unfortunately, after cloning, CHIRP only shows me the memory, i.e. the frequencies programmed in the device.
Unfortunately, the "Settings" column on the left is not visible in CHIRP.

74

This is usually due to one or more settings being out-of-range. Attach your downloaded CHIRP Radio Images (*.img) file so the it can be determined which settings are invalid.

Jim KC9HI

I once exported the saved settings from a Baofeng UV-5RE to the eSYNIC UV-5R using CHIRP.
The message came that not everything could be transferred.

Here the (*.img) file of the eSYNIC UV-5R.

Updated by Jim Unroe about 1 month ago

The Timeout Timer setting was set to an invalid value. Typically these radios have (and what CHIRP is programmed to accept) a range of 15 seconds to 600 seconds in steps of 15 seconds. Your radios was programmed to what would have been 615 seconds.

So either something caused your radio to have an invalid setting, or the setting range in your radio has changed from what is typically the norm for these radios. So what is the valid range of choices for menu 9 (TOT) in your radio?

So for now I set the TOT setting value in the "image" from your radio to 600 seconds. Once you load it back into CHIRP you can can change it to whatever suits you.

Jim KC9HI

Updated by Knuth K. about 1 month ago

Jim Unroe wrote:

The Timeout Timer setting was set to an invalid value. Typically these radios have (and what CHIRP is programmed to accept) a range of 15 seconds to 600 seconds in steps of 15 seconds. Your radios was programmed to what would have been 615 seconds.

So either something caused your radio to have an invalid setting, or the setting range in your radio has changed from what is typically the norm for these radios. So what is the valid range of choices for menu 9 (TOT) in your radio?

So for now I set the TOT setting value in the "image" from your radio to 600 seconds. Once you load it back into CHIRP you can can change it to whatever suits you.

Jim KC9HI

Hello Jim,

I loaded the image file you edited onto the eSYNIC device with CHIRP, restarted CHIRP and cloned it from the device.
Lo and behold, all settings are now visible and changeable. :)

Thank you very much for your help.
Super nice of you.

Greetings from Hamburg (Germany)

Markus

Updated by Knuth K. about 1 month ago

Knuth K. wrote:

Jim Unroe wrote:

The Timeout Timer setting was set to an invalid value. Typically these radios have (and what CHIRP is programmed to accept) a range of 15 seconds to 600 seconds in steps of 15 seconds. Your radios was programmed to what would have been 615 seconds.

So either something caused your radio to have an invalid setting, or the setting range in your radio has changed from what is typically the norm for these radios. So what is the valid range of choices for menu 9 (TOT) in your radio?

So for now I set the TOT setting value in the "image" from your radio to 600 seconds. Once you load it back into CHIRP you can can change it to whatever suits you.

Jim KC9HI

Hello Jim,

I loaded the image file you edited onto the eSYNIC device with CHIRP, restarted CHIRP and cloned it from the device.
Lo and behold, all settings are now visible and changeable. :)

Thank you very much for your help.
Super nice of you.

Greetings from Hamburg (Germany)

Markus

Updated by Jim Unroe about 1 month ago

Hi Markus,

Would you look at menu 9 (TOT) of your radio and report back the range of choices for that particular setting? Typically these radios have a list of choices from 15 seconds to 600 seconds in steps of 15 seconds. I am wondering if your radio might be different.

Thank you in advance.
Jim KC9HI

Updated by Knuth K. about 1 month ago

Jim Unroe wrote:

Hi Markus,

Would you look at menu 9 (TOT) of your radio and report back the range of choices for that particular setting? Typically these radios have a list of choices from 15 seconds to 600 seconds in steps of 15 seconds. I am wondering if your radio might be different.

Thank you in advance.
Jim KC9HI

Hello Jim,
The problem was that with the eSYNIC UV-5R in menu item 9 you have the option of setting TOT to off, which you cannot do with the BAOFENG UV-5R.
If this is set to off, CHIRP will not fully recognize the device.

Warm greetings

Markus

Updated by Jim Unroe about 1 month ago

Markus,

That is exactly what I was thinking and trying to find out. Thanks.

Please try out the attached test driver module and let me know if this matches the way your radio works. Here is how you do it...

1. Save the test driver module (uv5r_tot off.py) to convenient location on your computer.

Note: Left-click uv5r_tot off.py link (right-click will not work). After the next page loads, left-click the "download" link at top of page.

2. Load CHIRP.
3. Enable Enable Developer Functions in the Help menu.
4. Click Load Module selection in File menu.
5. Locate and load the file that was saved in step 1.

CHIRP will now have a red background to indicate that it is running with and externally loaded driver module.

Note: Loading an external driver module does not permanently change your CHIRP installation. If you close CHIRP, you will have to load the test driver module again to be able to use its features.

Now test the Timeout Timer (TOT) setting changes to validate that it works as expected with your radio. Let me know how it goes.

Jim KC9HI

Updated by Knuth K. about 1 month ago

Jim Unroe wrote:

Markus,

That is exactly what I was thinking and trying to find out. Thanks.

Please try out the attached test driver module and let me know if this matches the way your radio works. Here is how you do it...

1. Save the test driver module (uv5r_tot off.py) to convenient location on your computer.

Note: Left-click uv5r_tot off.py link (right-click will not work). After the next page loads, left-click the "download" link at top of page.

2. Load CHIRP.
3. Enable Enable Developer Functions in the Help menu.
4. Click Load Module selection in File menu.
5. Locate and load the file that was saved in step 1.

CHIRP will now have a red background to indicate that it is running with and externally loaded driver module.

Note: Loading an external driver module does not permanently change your CHIRP installation. If you close CHIRP, you will have to load the test driver module again to be able to use its features.

Now test the Timeout Timer (TOT) setting changes to validate that it works as expected with your radio. Let me know how it goes.

Jim KC9HI

Hello Jim,
I downloaded the file you created.
I had previously set TOT to off in the device.
CHIRP also shows me TOT off there (see screenshot).
I now leave TOT in the device at 600 and am therefore on the safe side to be able to use CHIRP normally with the eSYNIY UV-5R.
The TOT setting of 600 seconds is more than sufficient. :)

Many greetings

Markus DN7HJB

Updated by Jim Unroe about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to In Progress
  • Assignee set to Jim Unroe
  • Target version set to chirp-daily

Updated by Jim Unroe about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Resolved
  • % Done changed from 0 to 100

A patch to add support for the newly added OFF selection has been submitted.

Jim KC9HI

Updated by Anonymous about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from Resolved to Closed

Applied in changeset 82d34bf63541.

Also available in: Atom PDF